Have you registered your moped with the Honolulu C&C?

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Did you know that all mopeds must be registered and pass an annual safety inspection? The City and County of Honolulu provides notice of these important inspections by helping drivers prepare in advance.

C&C Honolulu said if you buy a moped from a dealer, the dealer must fill out an application to register the moped. If a retailer is not a certified safety inspection body, you will receive additional instructions.

Download the free KHON2 app iOS or Android to keep up to date with the latest news

Upon purchase, you will receive a copy of the completed application and the test certificate (safety check) from the dealer. C&C Honolulu recommends that you carry the two documents – the completed application and the inspection certificate – with you when operating the moped until you receive the registration, license plate and emblem decal in the mail.

If you already own a moped and it is time to register for the year, you should receive an annual reminder in the mail about 45 days before the expiry date to renew the registration.

C&C Honolulu said if you do not receive a renewal notification, you are still legally required to renew your registration before the expiration date of your current registration. You must have a current security clearance to renew your moped license.

The City and County of Honolulu also answers common questions about moped registrations.

  • Do I need a driver’s license to drive a moped? Yes, a valid driver’s license or Class 1 permit is required to legally operate a moped on the island of Oahu.
  • Do I have to take out moped insurance? Moped insurance is not a requirement for a security clearance or obtaining/renewing a moped license.
  • What happens if I don’t register/transfer my moped or complete the annual registration renewal by the expiry date? Failure to register a moped on or before the registration expiration date may result in an indictment or seizure of the moped by law enforcement if the moped is operated on Oahu’s public roads.
  • Should I notify the City and County of Honolulu if I discard my moped? The City and County of Honolulu does not record the disposal or scrapping of mopeds.
  • If I won’t be using my moped for a long time, can I “store” it to avoid paying the annual registration fee? Law 200 (2016) requires annual safety inspection and registration of all mopeds. The legislation not to allow the storage of a moped in order to avoid the annual registration requirement. If you do not use your moped for a long period of time, you will have to pay all pending and ongoing registration fees.

Get more coronavirus news: COVID vaccines, booster shots and safe travel information

Visit the City and County of Honolulu for more helpful tips on registering your moped website.

Comments are closed.