Baseball Splits in Hawaii – Rutgers University Athletics
“It’s not a bad weekend to come here to split up,” said the head coach Steve Owens called. “We had chances to win on Friday and I thought we had a pretty good chance today but we didn’t control the count, threw first pitch strikes and walked too many. That makes it difficult, especially in a field like this. I think a fatigue set in on the defense late in the game. On offense we got five runs starting in the sixth inning, we’re never out of the game. In general, I’m disappointed that nobody on the pitching staff was able to prevent it, it hit us like a snowball.”
Joshua Kuroda Grauer went 3-on-4 with two RBIs to highlight the 12-hit offense. The second baseman ended the streak with six hits Mike Nyisztor scored two of seven against the Rainbow Warriors on Sunday and has been on base in each of their last 11 games. Tony Santa Maria came off the bench and hit two singles.
RU used nine pitchers in the game, with Sam Portnoy, Jason tires, Joe Mazza and Matt Rowe do not allow earned runs.
Hawaii scored two runs in the third to go 4-2 up and never fell behind from there. Rutgers cut it to 7-5 in the sixth, but the Rainbow Warriors responded with five in the bottom half to retire.
- T1 | The Scarlet Knights scored in the first inning for the eighth time this season when they rolled over. Nyisztor led with a singles, advanced on a beam and finished third on a fielder’s pick. nextup, Nick Cimillo ripped an RBI single through the left flank to extend his hitting streak to nine games.
- B1 | Hawaii matched the run with a single, walk, victim bunch and RBI fielder choice.
- B2 | A two-out RBI single by Aaron Ujimori gave the Rainbow Warriors the lead.
- T3 | RU posted one to tie the game at two Jordan SweeneyNyisztor and Richie Schiekofer all individually, with a double play allowing Sweeney to cross.
- B3 | Hawaii took the lead with two runs to make it 4-2. A suicide squeeze overwhelmed one and a double RBI single from Cole Cabrera added another.
- B5 | The home side rallied three runs to build a 7-2 lead.
- T6 | The Scarlet Knights went into a three-run deficit. cimillo went, Ryan Lasko isolated, Chris Brito Single and Santa Maria notched a single with two runs off the bench. Kuroda-Grauer followed with an RBI single for 7-5.
- B6 | The Rainbow Warriors sent 11 batters on the plate with five hits to score five runs.
- T8 | Chris Brito reached from a miss, Santa Maria collected a single and Kuroda-Grauer lined an RBI double. Garret Callaghan then registered a run-scoring groundout.
- B8 | Hawaii took advantage of a mistake to count an unearned run.
The Scarlet Knights fly back to the mainland to continue spring break with a stopover in Nebraska. The three-game series at Omaha begins Friday at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all news and updates. For baseball-specific updates, follow the program on Twitter (@RutgersBaseball), Instagram (@rutgersbaseball) and Facebook (/BaseballRU). For additional updates, please download the Scarlet Knights app from the App Store or Play Store.