The Small Business Grant Program is open to all small businesses in Maui County
March 2, 2022 10:38 am HST
* Updated March 2, 10:39 am
The Maui County Small Business Grant Program is currently open to all small businesses in Maui County.
In early January, the county of Maui announced the support program for restaurants, bars and gyms. Effective March 1, the program transitioned to all small businesses in Maui County.
The County of Maui offers the program in partnership with the Credit Unions of Maui (Maui County FCU, Maui FCU, Kahului FCU, Valley Isle Community FCU, Wailuku FCU, and Maui Teachers FCU). The program is part of America’s rescue plan to support small businesses in Maui County impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Maui County Small Business Grant is distinct from the 2020 Kōkua Maui County Recovery & Relief Fund administered by Maui’s credit unions. The Business Grant program is not a reimbursement program. Instead, qualifying companies will receive a $5,000 grant.
Another program change is that companies are now required to demonstrate a 10% decrease in gross receipts (instead of the previous 20% requirement) from 2019 to 2020, verified by the State of Hawaii G49.
Prerequisites for funding are:
- After qualification, the grant amount is $5,000.
- This is a grant and not an operating reimbursement program.
- Businesses must be registered and active with the State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) and (or) sole traders.
- Businesses must have 2020 gross sales of $2,000,000 or less certified by the State of Hawaii tax form G49 (General Excise/Use Annual Return and Reconciliation).
- Businesses must show a 10 percent decline in gross revenue from 2019 to 2020, validated by the State of Hawaii G49.
- Businesses must have a commercial location in the county of Maui.
- You must provide a current lease or rental agreement and proof of payment for the current month (application date, canceled check or bank statement).
- Businesses must certify that they have resumed operations in the county of Maui at the time of application.
- One (1) grant per business owner (even if the owner has multiple businesses).
- A 1099 can be issued at the end of the year, please check with your tax adviser.
For more information visit: https://www.mauinuistrong.info/maui-county-small-business-grantor call 808-270-5745.